Saudi-led bloc makes step back in Gulf crisis
22 July, 2017
The four Arab nations leading a boycott against Qatar are no longer insisting it comply with a list of 13 specific demands they tabled last month, news wires reported. Instead diplomats from Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain and Egypt told reporters at the UN they now wanted Qatar to accept six broad principles, which include commitments to combat terrorism and to end provocation and incitement.
At a briefing last Tuesday, diplomats said they wanted to finally resolve the crisis. Saudi permanent representative Abdullah al-Mouallimi said that foreign ministers had agreed the principles at a meeting in Cairo and that they “should be easy for the Qataris to accept.” They were combating terrorism and extremism, denying financing and safe havens to terrorist groups, stopping incitement to hatred and violence, and refraining from interfering in the internal affairs of other countries.
There was no immediate comment from Qatar, which denies aiding terrorists. It has so far refused to agree to any measures that threaten its sovereignty or violate international law, and denounced the siege imposed by its neighbours.