BGN 2.4bn in tourism revenues
8 September, 2017
The public budget recorded BGN 2.4bn in tourism revenues in the first six months of 2017, which is an increase of 13% compared with the same period of last year, announced Minister of Tourism Nikolina Angelkova.
Reservations for more than 5.7m nights are projected for the period between May and October, which would be an increase of about 5% year-on-year. The number of tourists for the season is expected to grow by 6%. Visits from Germany, the UK and France are estimated at approximately 20% more, as are those from vacationers from the Czech Republic and Poland. The number of tourists from Russia increased by 10%, from Greece – up 5%, and from Romania – up 2-3%. A total of 3.3m foreign tourists visited the country over the reviewed half of the year, or 8% up on the same period of last year.
According to Angelova, Bulgaria is increasingly associated with quality tourism services rather than seen simply as a low-cost destination.
The minister believes the status of national resorts and the types of operations that can be run there should be clearly defined.
Some 11 wine and food trails will be launched by the end of the year.